With all of Ontario poised to join Toronto, Peel, York, Windsor and Hamilton in the Grey Zone lockdown on December 26, we have been asked about the rules for appointment only selling and test drives.
The government has issued regulations governing dealers and covering these areas as follows:
Dealers may remain open only if they meet the following conditions:
- Members of the public must only be permitted to enter the premises by appointment.
- Members of the public are only permitted to be in indoor areas where vehicles and other products are sold or displayed for sale
- Test drives must comply with the following:
- the test drive must be limited to no more than 10 minutes,
- a maximum of two people, including one sales representative, may be present in the vehicle during the test drive, and
- if two people who are not members of the same household are present in the vehicle during the test drive, all windows in the vehicle must be opened at all times.
These rules are currently in effect for dealers in Toronto, Peel Region, York Region, Hamilton, and Windsor-Essex. They will take effect in the rest of Ontario on December 26, at 12:01 a.m.
These are legal requirements, not recommendations. It’s essential that dealers comply with them for the safety and health of all employees and customers and to avoid potential fines.