Dealer Plate FAQs

A Dealer Plate may be used on passenger class vehicles owned as part of a dealer’s inventory for purposes related to the sale of the vehicle or for personal use of the vehicle.

The Dealer Plate and vehicle must both be owned by the same dealer. Anyone authorized by the dealer may drive the vehicle with a Dealer Plate.

As of January 1, 2021 the MTO has issued communications to the enforcement community to clarify that current Dealer plate regulations support using a Dealer plate in the following situations:

· On a used motor vehicle being transported from auction with no vehicle registration permit,


· While transporting a new unregistered motor vehicle where only the New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS) is present.

Dealer Plates may be used on commercial class vehicles, such as pickups and cargo vans, owned by a dealer for the purpose of selling the vehicle. Dealer Plates may not be used on commercial vehicles for private use or on a commercial vehicle that is transporting goods (e.g. a parts truck).

As of
January 1, 2021:

· Dealer plates can be used on a light-duty commercial vehicle, that is part of a dealer’s inventory of motor vehicles and that is “loaded with goods” of a private nature, for private use, provided the manufacturer’s Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the pickup truck does not exceed 3,400 kg (Reg 628).

· Pickup trucks displaying Dealer plates while being operated for private use may not tow another vehicle. 628).

The following documentation is needed when driving a vehicle with a Dealer Plate:

  • proof of insurance (the insurance pink slip for the Dealer Plate);
  • original or copy of the plate registration permit; and
  • original or copy of the vehicle registration permit. If the vehicle has just been purchased and the registration permit is not yet available, carry a copy of the bill of sale to prove ownership of the vehicle(the police officer may not accept that, but it might help if you fight the charge in court).

Dealer Plates may not be used on an unsafe vehicle or on any vehicle that the Dealer does not own. Dealer Plates may be used on both “Fit” and “Unfit” status vehicles, as long as the vehicle is not unsafe to drive.

Fit status is the normal status found on registrations. Unfit status would normally only occur when a consumer purchases a vehicle that has not had a safety status certificate prior to registration. The status of the vehicle is not an indication of whether the vehicle is actually safe to drive.

Provide the officer with requested documentation. The UCDA has produced a wallet size card with information about Dealer Plate regulations. If an officer suggests that personal use of Dealer Plates is not permitted, offer to show the card. If the officer refuses to look at the card and lays a charge, don’t argue. Accept the ticket and contact the UCDA later about disputing the charge.

Call the UCDA at 416-231-2600 or 1-800-268-2598 to request one or more cards for staff to carry when using a dealer plate.